Elder Clifford is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to Mexico Guadalajara East from August of 2014 to July of 2016.










E a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to Mexico Guadalajara East from August of 2014 to July of 2016.

Monday, January 12, 2015

Week Twenty Three


(This picture is new to us, but it's from back in the MTC.)


Let’s see what do I have to talk about this week……

Well first off I guess I’ll talk about how the work is going in my area. Right now we are really looking for people who have questions, for people who want to learn more about the gospel. It’s a little bit harder to find them but when you find them you just need to work really hard with them. As for progressing investigators that I have right now….. This week was a little bit rough. We lost a couple of investigators but I’m not really letting that get me down. It just means more time for us to work with the people who want to learn more about the gospel.

Time is flying here and we’re coming to the end of another cambio. 6 weeks flew by just like that! This week I was studying a lot about obedience again. I also put a lot of time into chapter 4 in preach my gospel. First off with the obedience, I think that it is safe that when one companion is lacking in obedience, it makes it very hard for the other to stay obedient. It is really hard but there comes a time when you’ve gotta show your love for your companion by voicing your concerns to him. So I did. I sat down with my comp. this week and we talked it out. I told him that as a companionship there were some things that we could be doing a lot better when it comes to obedience. I explained the things that bothered me and we are working on working them out. I came to realize that this was the only way to work it out. Earlier in this change I would tell him, Hey you need to do this, or you need to stop doing that. Well after some time I saw that that didn’t work. If anything I found out that it made him want to obey the rules less. So I started using we. It doesn’t matter if I’m always following the rules and he’s not or if he’s following the rules and I’m not. We are working together on this, so I sat down and made it into a group project. So what if I have no problem waking up in the morning on time, I still said that we have a hard time and we could definitely work on it, so why not help each other out with it. I saw immediate improvement when I started using the we and I’m sure that it will continue to help me throughout my mission. Chapter 4 is all about recognizing and teaching by the spirit. Something that I could definitely work on. It’s really easy to get caught up in just marking off the principles in my head when we pass them but it’s really measuring how and what the investigator is feeling. I can’t quite read their minds right, but I can still look at them and understand if they understand or look at them and feel that they are feeling the same way I do. It took a little bit of work but I started using better questions in my teaching. I started using questions that got them to think and would also let me know if they are understanding at the same time. It really changed the way our lessons are going. But I would definitely recommend studying preach my gospel in general. Members and missionaries alike can learn a ton from that book.

Funny experience this week... haha I found out that I have been saying the word build wrong for the last 4 and a half months earlier this week. I was studying and I saw the word aumentar and I was like hey that’s weird, I’m pretty sure they spelled that wrong. So I went to the dictionary and I found out that that’s actually how it’s spelled. This whole time I’ve been saying amenzar haha. Kind of embarrassing but still it’s fun to laugh about the mistakes every now and then. Could have been a lot worse haha. Hope all is well and that everyone has good weeks!!

Elder Clifford



(Mom translation:  I had to look up these words of course.  So Elder Clifford was trying to say the word build, which is aumentar and this whole time he has been saying amenzar, which means..........threatening!!!  I wonder what people he was teaching were thinking???!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.