Elder Clifford is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to Mexico Guadalajara East from August of 2014 to July of 2016.










E a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to Mexico Guadalajara East from August of 2014 to July of 2016.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Week Seven




Elder Clifford with Presidente y Hermana Camarillo the day he got to Mexico (September 15)
(he says they are awesome!!)





Hola familia!


This week has been one of the roughest weeks of my life, but I think that it’s also been a good thing.
First things first, I got my Trainer!!  His name is Elder Sanchez, and he is from Ecuador. He doesn’t speak English, but he’s pretty good at charades so I think we’ll be alright.   Which brings me to the next item of business -  I suck at Spanish.  I’ve tried as hard as I can all week but no matter what I do I cannot understand very much of what anyone says.  Then when I try to talk back to them they just laugh at me and call me a guerro.  Guerro is the same as gringo, but I haven’t heard gringo very much.  Kinda funny actually, this crazy Mexican guy wearing a huge sombrero and a beard halfway down his chest, yelled at me and started yelling guerro like 20 times. It scared the crap out of me (not literally, luckily).


I live in a kind of sketchy place. Well, not sketchy by Mexico standards I don’t think, but in America everyone would be freaking out if they lived there. The people are nice though.  Well, most of the people are nice, I’ve met a couple Mexican people who apparently don’t like white people this week, but it doesn’t matter because I can’t understand what they are yelling at me anyways.
Another thing that has surprised me here is how crazy the driving is.  I’ve almost been hit by like 15 cars this week. Mexico is like real life frogger. The busses are just as crazy as the other cars and motorcycles too.  Bus is my main form of transportation for this transfer, and I’ve spent most of my money on the bus rides all over the area.  By the way, my area is called industrial.  Look up Guaves and see if anything comes up. I think that’s the name of the actual place but I have no idea.  It’s a lot of guessing for me right now.  It kind of sucks because my companion has never been to this area, and we had to rent|negotiate|buy a house and we still aren’t moved in yet. The house is smaller than your bedroom.   No kitchen but we have a sink kind of thing and the mission gives us these mini kind of grill things.  There isn’t any hot water.  I’m in the outer part of Guadalajara, so it’s kind of not that nice.  I feel safe for the most part.  I know what kind of places I should and shouldn’t walk and what kind of things to stay away from.


Right now we are living with a companionship who lives like an hour and a half from our area because that’s the closest to our area. We don’t know our area so we’ve been spending a lot of time tracting around it and just figuring it out. We’ve gotten contact information from 52 people who want to learn more about our message, but we haven’t called any yet because it’s too hectic going from place to place as is. Hopefully at least 2 or 3 of those people were actually interested.  So yeah, I haven’t taught any investigators yet and that kind of makes me feel like a failure but it’s okay I guess.  Our mission is really strict about letting people get baptized.  They have to go to 5 weeks of church in a row to get baptized.  I know they can do it.  I have faith in them but dang.  I never expected that I would have to get people to go to church for a month before they could be baptized.  I guess I’ll just have to teach a ton of people every week to make up for those people who don’t go to church.  


Speaking of church, I had a funny experience at it this week. They asked me to give a talk but I thought they asked me talk about myself,  so I stood up there and said my name is Elder Clifford, I am from Utah, I am excited to be able to work with such a great ward and I sat down.  Everyone laughed.  I was confused.  I laughed as well.  Needless to say, I think that the bishopric may not have been the happiest people in the world, but they’ll probably have me give a talk next week anyways so it’s all good.


The food here is awesome!  I haven’t gotten sick yet, but I have no idea when I’m supposed to get sick.  I haven’t eaten anything weird yet that I know of.  I had carne en su jugo the first night and I had tortas another night.  I’ve had tortillas with almost every meal.  All in all, I have been taken care of pretty well if you ask me.  


But yeah, that’s all I’ve got for this week.


Hope everyone is doing well and is healthy and everything.


Adios,


Elder Clifford

Elder Clifford and his companion Elder Sanchez

  

Elder Clifford and Elder Sanchez at Zone Conference the day after Elder Clifford got to Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.