Elder Clifford is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to Mexico Guadalajara East from August of 2014 to July of 2016.










E a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to Mexico Guadalajara East from August of 2014 to July of 2016.

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Week Four



Elder Clifford found Elder Chou!!!  They both sang in the MTC Choir last Sunday.


Hola familia.  

This past week has been super bien. You guys wanted to specifically know if I've been a new missionary host and boy have I got a story for you guys concerning that. Before I get into that though, I just want to express my gratitude and love for my family and for all of those people who have been writing me. I love you guys so much!! 

Now let’s get back to business and talk about all of my shenanigans I get into here at the MTC. First off, I'll tell about my fantastic experience hosting new missionaries. If I thought my first day was crazy just looking at it from the new missionary perspective, then I would have thought it was just as crazy if I heard what the hosts do. Imagine these huge buses full of like 50 missionaries each coming every 15 minutes for an hour and a half. Now imagine having to first off, find a missionary to host, grab his luggage, and then rush him to his apartment and class within those 15 minutes. All of these kids look confused as heck and have no idea what to do. They'll step off the bus, and freeze right there in their tracks. I mean who wouldn’t be frozen with fear if they saw a huge horde of host missionaries blabbering in Spanish and sprinting towards them. But anyways I have to take these missionaries all over the west campus and I have to say it because no one will, but there are only two types of new missionaries: They either act like they are God’s gift to the MTC or they are these kind shy souls who don't start acting like they are God’s gift to the MTC until like week 3. Well not all of them, but a good deal of them. I'm not ashamed to admit that I’m terrible at Spanish, but this one kid I was hosting was telling me how he was probably already better than anyone in the CCM at Spanish because he'd taken Spanish for 3 years in high school. (Yes, you would be correct if you guessed he was from Utah.) He looks at me and goes “Watch, I can reply to anything you say”. And here I am thinking, you know what kid, any one in North America can reply to what I say if they've watched Dora the Explorer at least one time, well okay I’m not that bad, but in a week and a half I’m going to feel like that in Mexico. Anyways this kids feeling cocky so I ask him what he thinks of the CCM so far. He just looks at me all confused. "Huh?" I ask him again and he just says “Si Si” and nods his head. Great, this kid must have been following scripts from my first lessons with investigators. I figure he doesn't know a lick of Spanish so I just went ahead and asked him if he would be committed to baptism and follow the example of Jesus Christ. “Seguira el ejemplo de Jesucristo al ser bautizado por alguien que posea la autoridad de Dios?” He looks at me, "Yeah I think that Jesus baptized a lot of people too." What the heck kid? I thought that you were some kind of Spanish genius. Props for figuring out the two easiest words I just said though. Thank goodness that I finally got him to his class at that point. I also ended up carrying all the bags for two kids up three floors while they watched but that’s not as fun to talk about. On the bright side I figured out that I should probably start working out or something because I was breathing heavy after carrying all their stuff.

 People wanted to hear about my best bro's in the MTC but if I started picking favorites we'd probably have a full out riot or something over here. Joking of course, but I'm friends with everyone in my district who doesn't try to start problems with me. Everyone except for one certain person who I'm sure everyone is aware of by now. By the way, you wouldn't know how good I’ve gotten at digging us out of holes in discussions with investigators by now thanks to his crazy statements. The other day he went on this 15 minute rant because an investigator asked if it said in the Bible that Jesus came to the Americas. He went on and on about it and started to talk about the restoration and I just cut him off and told the investigator (who was confused because we suck at Spanish) that yes, there was a scripture that I knew of that would answer his question, but that I would bring it next time. We continued to teach about the plan of salvation. (Don’t ask me how we got on the topic of Jesus in the Americas because I myself still have no idea.) The kid will talk and talk and then drop it off to me for either really hard questions or if he doesn't know how to say something. No worries, I always just say to myself what a blessing it is that I am here learning how to answer these questions now instead of later.  

Okay back to my bros. This week we went to this tie trade off with our leaving district in our zone and had this huge black market tie trading deal thing. (The MTC does not allow elders to trade ties) I got this sexy yellow tie that I’m saving to trade to another elder in my district for a tie I really like, because in the tie market, it’s all about investment. But anyways we chilled there until like 10:10. Which is like midnight around here and then we started sprinting back with all of our ties around our shoulders because they live on the other side of campus. We got caught by a security guard for being out after curfew 1 minute late (10:16) and for trading ties. We were reported to our branch president and he just kind of laughed it off the next day, but at the time being we were all pretty sure that we were all dead meat. Anyways, if you’re going to the MTC, and happen to trade ties with someone, don’t wear them around your shoulders like spoils of war, security guards don’t like it.  
Elder Clifford's zone

Other than that this week was great. I got to give a blessing to an elder in the leaving district before they left. He wanted a blessing of comfort before he left. Every district does them with every missionary before they leave the MTC but it is usually just the district giving them to each other. They invited us to come to say good bye but he asked me to give him a blessing instead of his companion. I stepped up to the circle and gave him a blessing. He was the first blessing of comfort that I have ever given. I can't remember what I said, but I do remember that when they say that blessings are guided by the Spirit that they are not lying to you. I was nervous and didn't know what to say walking up, but as soon as I touched his head I felt peace and the words were given to me as I needed them. It was really a blessing of comfort for both of us if you think about it.  

That’s all I have time for this week.  

Love you guys!!  

Good luck with everything you have going on this week.
(Mom here: I refuse to believe that this innocent Elder would be involved in any shenanigans.
Oh wait, that tie is his spoils from the Black Market Tie Trade........)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.