Elder Clifford is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to Mexico Guadalajara East from August of 2014 to July of 2016.










E a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to Mexico Guadalajara East from August of 2014 to July of 2016.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week Two


Provo Temple







Hola mi familia!


This week was kind of a crazy week.

Let me just start by saying that the days here are the longest things ever. I wake up and head to class and we study or whatever and I try not to fall asleep and then I kind of fall asleep and then we go back to studying and then we hit lunch and that rocks. But pretty much every day feels like 2 days and every week feels like it was only one day. Honestly it’s pretty hard to remember all of the stuff that I did in the week but it’s coming back to me now so we’re good.

Saturday was one of the funniest days I’ve ever had. It starts out like a normal boring day, well not boring. It’s probably a sin or something to say that it can be boring here at the MTC sometimes. Anyways I wake up, take a super quick shower and try eating a real quick breakfast so that we can make it to class on time. My comp. just kind of lounges around takes a 15 minute shower, eats slow as heck and then tells me we need to sprint to class so that we can make it to class on time and get the blessings of obedience. How about no, man. I walked as slow as I could walk. I thought it was pretty funny. My comp did not. The day goes on and we were just heading back from one of the best dinners I’ve ever had. In the MTC after a long day I think that every dinner is the best dinner I’ve ever had. (I forgot to mention in my last email but I’ve already gained 10 pounds last I checked on Sunday.)  Anyways I’m just chilling with the other guys from my district because we have 10 minutes to class and I mean who doesn’t like to chill outside and joke around? (Not my comp in case you were wondering).  Comp comes out of class and goes berserk. And when I say berserk I mean like the kind of crazy you see when a mom thinks she’s lost her child and it’s your fault somehow. He starts yelling and we all laugh because we thought he was joking and that was the wrong move I guess, because he told me he was going to punch me for a bunch of reasons. He said some not so choice words to me and lectured me on how I was the worst missionary in the MTC and needed to fix my attitude and to start obeying the rules. At this point I’m just laughing at everything he says and all the other guys and I haven’t moved from our spots on the ground. I continue laughing and reply, “Well hey, no one can live as perfectly as you. Plus you just broke a rule by swearing at me so we’re kind of on even ground.”  He has nothing to say to this so he does what any other sore loser would do, tries to fight me. He walks up (I’m still on the ground) and pushes me back into the ground. I start to shoot my foot towards his stomach when out of nowhere Elder Hansen straight up pushes the guy like 10 feet. He yells at him and says that he’s sick of the way he treats everyone and that it’s not his job to bully people. He says that if he tries anything else that he'll personally knock him out. My comp thinks he’s tough and sneers back at him, “Bring it." Hansen pushes him on the ground and walks away. By this time I was about to knock my comp out and Wagner grabs me and pulls me into the classroom. We all talked for a while and my comp stormed off and started "studying".   Elder Sasser and Wagner went on a split so I didn’t have to go with him. Time goes by and we remembered that there was a Sister in our district who needed a blessing because she was having these crazy bad asthma problems. So I and the other 3 elders who were there gave her a blessing. It was my first experience with a blessing and I had no idea what to expect. Standing in the circle I just felt really great. Like I was ready and worthy to help someone out with my priesthood and I was finally getting to help. The blessing brought the spirit back into the classroom and we all finished studying in peace.  The Hermana is fine by the way. Anyways my comp and I worked everything out and he apologized for flipping out on me over nothing.  I told him that while the mission needs 100 percent of our effort when it comes to study and our work, that a huge aspect of it was making relationships that will last a lifetime. I didn't come out on my mission to seclude myself from others and to preach the gospel to random people I was assigned to. I came out and I knew that the only way that I was ever going to learn how to really convert someone is if I showed them I loved them. And sure knowledge is a great way to tell someone what they need to hear, but there’s no way to help someone feel what they need to feel if you never went out of your way and truly loved them.

I’ve learned a lot about myself this week and I’ve thought a lot about my family. Yeah it’s hard, and yeah I haven’t been out that long, but honestly if it weren’t for all my friends in the district, I would be having such a hard time right now. Just wanted to let you guys know I love you and appreciate you for sending me goodies and letters and stuff. Good luck to all you siblings about to start school. I know that you guys can do it. Oh yeah I taught these things called trc's this week. It’s pretty much family home evening with members in full Spanish. I got paired up with this college chick and an old lady. All they did the whole time was compliment me on my Spanish. They can lie to me all they want, but I know with a surety that my Spanish is basura. That means trash I think.  All I know about my Spanish skills is that when I bear my testimony that I can feel the spirit. I look right into their eyes and I say everything I know how to say. If I can’t say it than I say it in English. That’s probably enough for one week.

Love you guys>

Hasta Luego!!



Elder Clifford 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.