Elder Clifford is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to Mexico Guadalajara East from August of 2014 to July of 2016.










E a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to Mexico Guadalajara East from August of 2014 to July of 2016.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Week One

 

Elder Clifford and his MTC companion.


Hola,
How is everything going back home? Life here at the MTC is kind of hectic!!
I have no idea where to start so I guess I’ll start at the beginning. I come in first day and they shuffle me through this crazy mega huge line and I get my badge and everything. Anyways they throw me in a classroom with some other kids who look just about as dazed and confused as I undoubtedly look. Either way I figure hey, I’m pretty tired; why not go for a nap. As soon as I sit down I notice the teacher guy saying words to me that I don’t understand. All I could see is his mouth moving like in slow motion in a movie but none of the words even made sense so I just go along with it and act like I know what he’s saying. Bla bla bla? I just nod my head. oh bla bla bla. I continue to stare at him with a blank look on my face; I can just see it now. All I think of was wow what the heck did I get myself into? He told us in English that our first investigator would be coming to speak with us in full Spanish in two days so we might as well get started. This should give you an idea of how crazy the first day was. So anyways the next few days we study for like 8 or 9 hours a day and needless to say I think I know a little bit of Spanish now. I’ve given six discussions in Spanish and committed our investigator to baptism. By the way he is not a real investigator, just like our new teacher finding out where we need help at Spanish.
This email is going to be insane and probably won’t make any sense because I have to shove in a week and a half worth of information into a letter in less than an hour. Maybe I’ll break the rules, we’ll see I guess. Now let’s get to the nitty gritty. Schedule changes all the time so I really don’t know what to say about that. Let’s just say I wake up at the unholy hour of 6:30, get ready and run to class or breakfast or whatever. We have three three hour study periods, one hour of gym time, and lunch and dinner. Pretty easy schedule if I can manage to find something I feel like studying.


Honestly, this is going to sound typical Colby jerk but I can't stand mi companero.  He is a crazy stickler for the rules from Colorado.  I swear I he thinks I'm going to go to hell because I'll be chilling taking a 5 minute break with my new bro's and he races in there and says the Lord has no time for breaks and we need to study harder.  I told him that the mission needs a good balance of friends and work, like I need to be at least partially sociable as long as it doesn't actually interfere with the work.  He told me that missionaries don't need friends!!!  The heck??  Anyways, it seems he's a hypocrite because he's all for breaking the rules when he wants to do something, but if I'm talking to someone or want to do something the Spirit tells him its a bad idea.  I don't know, but I honestly couldn't give less of a crap anyway.
I went to the Mexican consulate for my visa picture or something with a bunch of other elders on Tuesday and it was pretty nifty. It was on the way back when all of the insanity started happening. So there I was minding my own business on the trax when some borderline homeless looking dude walks up to us. He was mumbling to himself and his hand was shaking a little bit like he was on drugs or something. He walks up and politely asks “Where are you handsome missionaries doing on such a fine day as this?" Oh, hey crazy guy, we're just getting back from the Mexican consulate. He gets a little mad, and says nope you’re wrong. Huh? I’m wrong that I know exactly where I was for the last 3 hours? He says something about how it’s the American consulate and keeps calling it continent. Anyways we get a rant about how live in America and are Americans and what not. Two missionaries walk away and he yells watch them walk away boys, watch them walk away. At this point I feel uncomfortable but trust me it gets worse. He tells us about how he’s Alice Cooper’s nephew and begins ranting about some cosmic rule of the universe. Then he starts trying to get us to sing "I hope they call me on a mission". No one wants to sing so he gets mad and punches the ceiling. He tells us that Thomas S. Monson is watching us and that if we don’t sing that Thomas will be disappointed and that we're not real missionaries and what not. Anyways, he tries again and no one joins in. We all get off the trax and he gets crazy mad and yells 'you are wasting your lives, disappointing Thomas, your parents are stealing your lives', and finally finishes with a flattering fbomb. He also gives us the good old middle finger for good measure and runs to the back of the train. So yeah, fantastic time my first day out of the MTC.
Anyways, I’m doing fine here. The food is pretty good and I can have as much as I want. No, I am not fluent yet. I’m pretty sure everything I say to the investigator makes no sense actually. My district is dope. I’m great friends with everyone, there are 8 elders including my companionship and 4 sisters. All the guys are going to the same mission! I’m gonna know these guys my whole mission!  Anyways, I hope you guys are doing alright. I can say prayers and bear my testimony in full Spanish. Anyways, I’m all good and hope you’re all good. 

Love you guys.

Elder Clifford


MTC classroom




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.