Elder Clifford is serving a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to Mexico Guadalajara East from August of 2014 to July of 2016.










E a two year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to Mexico Guadalajara East from August of 2014 to July of 2016.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Farewell




 Elder Clifford with his family
 

 Elder Clifford with Mom and Dad





Elder Clifford's farewell talk

Good morning brothers and sisters, my name is Colby Clifford. My family moved to Utah about 5 years ago and we have lived in this ward for a majority of that time. I think it’s only fitting that I share a joke today that I told in the very first talk I did in Sacrament Meeting in Arizona right after I turned 12 years old:  Did you hear about our Family Home Evening lesson a few weeks ago? My mom was teaching us about the Ten Commandments and was going over the “honor thy father and mother” part. Then she asked, “Is there a commandment that teaches us how to treat our brothers and sister?”My  brother Cameron shot his hand up and blurted out “Thou shalt not kill?” 
Today I’ve been asked to speak on the importance of renewing our baptismal covenants through the sacrament. Each week when we partake of the sacrament we promise that we will keep his commandments which he has given us, and always remember him so that we may always remember him. If everyone really took it into their hearts each week to keep the commandments, and to always remember Christ in everything we do, then we would have extremely happy and joyful lives. Partaking of the sacrament is a witness to God that the remembrance of His Son will extend beyond the short time of that sacred ordinance. Part of this ordinance is a promise to remember Him always and a witness of individual willingness to take upon oneself the name of Jesus Christ and to keep His commandments. In partaking of the sacrament and making these commitments, Church members renew the covenant they made at baptism. If we remain worthy, continue to keep his commandments and partake of the sacrament each week than we can always have the spirit as a constant companion.
In Mosiah 18: 10 it says “Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being baptized in the name of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a covenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?”
It is important that we recognize the importance of the sacrament each week when we take it. It can be easy to just take the water and the bread and not recognize further what we are actually doing. 
We need to qualify for the cleansing power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. We do this by keeping His commandment to come to Him with a broken heart and a contrite spirit and in this  weekly meeting partake of the emblems of the sacrament and make the covenants that qualify us for the precious promise that we will always have His Spirit to be with us (see D&C 20:77).  If we prepare ourselves to partake of the Sacrament by arriving to our Sacrament Meeting early, and quietly sit and not visit with others before Sacrament Meeting starts, or play games or check the internet on our phones or tablets but sit reverently and reflect on our Savior and the Gospel, we are not only allowing the Holy Ghost to be with us but with all of the people in the congregation with us.  When we do this—when we join in the solemnity that should always accompany the ordinance of the sacrament and the worship of this meeting—we are qualified for the companionship and revelation of the Spirit. This is the way we get direction for our lives and peace along the way.
I know that the church is true. I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet. I know that Book of Mormon is true and that if you will read it with true intent of finding out the truthfulness of this gospel that it will be made known unto you. I know my family loves me and I know that families can be together forever. I know that the mission I have been called to is the right place for me, and I know that there is someone waiting there to hear the gospel from me.  I want to thank all the family and friends that came today, I appreciate your support.   I am thankful for the opportunity to serve and I say these thing's in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
 


Elder Clifford with siblings and cousins




Elder Clifford and his Bro's



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.